Believers' Foundation Class
TOPIC: THE WORD OF GOD
TEXT: 2 TIM 3 v 16-17, 2 PET 1 v 19-21
Just as foundation is indispensable for any building that will stand, so is the word of God for any Christain that will live a colourful life – Psa 11 v 3. Note also that foundations don’t happen, they are made to happen. The Bible is the word of God.
IMPORTANCE OF STUDYING THE WORD
1. It is the solution to every life’s problem.
2. It takes the word to create your world – Heb 11 v 3.
3. To grow as a believer, you must keep studying the word – I Pet 2 v 2. As a child, desire pure milk of the word that you may grow.
4. If you must develop an effective prayer life, you must study the word – Dan 9 v 2-3. A wordless christain is a prayerless christain.
5. Increase in faith is a function of how much of the word you have and you are working with.
HOW DO I CARRY OUT EFFECTIVE STUDY?
There is how to everything – Eccl 10 v 15
1. Choose an appropraite time and place condusive enough to enhance maximum study
2. Rely heavily on the Holy Spirit to teach you – John 14 v 26
3. Get an understanding Bible and writing materials
4. Develop an organised way of studying, e.g. book by book per week
HOW DO I PUT THE WORD TO WORK?
1. Meditation – This means to ponder, assimilate, reflect upon, digest, focus thinking
2. Personalise the word – To relate the word to your personal situation, Prov 4 v 20
3. Visualise the word – This is having a picture of what the word says before you. Go beyond hearing to seeing the word manifest – Isa 2 v 1
TOPIC: PREVAILING PRAYER
TEXT: LUKE 11 v 1, MATT 6 v 9-15, PSA 115 v 3
When you travail in the spirit, you prevail in the physical. The subject of prayer is important to Jesus in accomplishing his earthly ministry. He was found in the attitude of prayer often. Hence, the disciples asked him “Lord teach us how to pray”
1. WHAT IS PRAYER?
· Prayer is a two-way communication. Prayer is a divine communion between God and man – Gen 18 v 22-32. Abraham stood before God and discussed with him about the destruction of Sodom.
· It is taking to God and hearing from God.
· When we pray, we put God to remembrance – Isa 43 v 26.
2. WHEN SHOULD WE PRAY?
We are expected to pray always – Luke 18 v 1, Eph 6 v 18, I Thes 5 v 17
3. WHY SHOULD WE PRAY?
We are admonished by the word of God to pray because prayer is the life style of Jesus and if we are to follow his example then we must pray – I Pet 2 v 21.
· To lay hold on our blessing – Matt 7 v 7
· Silence every satanic opposition – Matt 26 v 41
4. BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ANSWERED PRAYER
· Begin with praise and adoration – Matt 6 v 9, Psa 100 v 4
· Ask in faith – Heb 11 v 6, Mark 11 v 24
· Ensure total forgiveness of your offenders – Matt 6 v 12, Mark 11 v 25
TOPIC: ENDUEMENT WITH POWER
TEXT: ACTS 1 v 8
As a believer in Christ, power with God is now your Covenant heritage – John 1 v 12. You must be endued with power to fully represent Christ and live a victorious and successful Christain life. For you to be endued with power, you must be baptized in the Holy Ghost.
· Just as a brand new vehicle is useless without fuel, so is a Christain ineffective without the Holy Ghost Baptism – Act 1 v 4-9
· The Holy Ghost Baptism is a promise from God to all those who are born again – John 1 v 37-39, 14 v 16-17
BENEFITS OF THE HOLY GHOST BAPTISM
· Access to the comforting ministry of the Holy Spirit – John 14 v 26
· Access to the teaching and remembering ministry of the Holy Spirit – John 14 v 26
· Access into deep understanding of the word of God – John 16 v 13-15, I Cor 2 v 11
· Boldness to witness about Jesus – Acts 1 v 8
· Edify and build up your faith – I Cor 14 v 4
HOW DO I RECEIVE THE HOLY GHOST?
· Eat the word, abide in God and His word – John 15 v 7, 2 Cor 5 v 17
· Know that He is a gift to all those who are born again – Acts 2 v 38-39
· There must be genuine thirst in you to be filled – John 7 v 37, Pas 63 v 1
· God will give him to you simply by your asking – Luke 11 v 9-13
· Believe you have received after asking - Mark 11 v 24
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN I AM FILLED?
· The simplest evidence is speaking in tongues – Acts 2 v 1-4, 10 v 44-46, 19 v 1-7
TOPIC: KINGDOM STEWARDSHIP
TEXT: ACTS 23 v 25-26
Kingdom stewardship simply means the practical involvement in serving God in one service group / unit in the church. One of the reasons why God saved us is for us to serve him with our spirit, soul and body.
THREE (3) CATEGORIES OF STEWARDSHIP
A. FINANCIAL STEWARDSHIP – Until a seed is let go and sowed, it does not have the capacity to reproduce itself – Luke 6 v 38
Avenues for financial stewardship
i. Tithing – This is 10% of the believer income into the house of God – Matt 3 v 8, Lev 27 v 30-31
ii. Offerings – This is a free will offerings we must bring to God everytime we appear before him – Luke 10 v 4-8, Gal 6 v 6
iii. Alms to the poor – Remember that he that lended to the poor lended to God – Prov 19 v 17, Deut 15 v 11
iv. Project offering – This is giving for the purpose of lifting and expanding the kingdom of God – Zech 1 v 17
B. PRACTICAL STEWARDSHIP – If Exodus 23 v 25-26 must be fulfilled in your life as a believer, you must of necessity belong to a service group or unit in the church, e.g. choir, ushering, security, santuary etc
C. SPIRTUAL STEWARDSHIP – Eze 22 v 30, this si standing in the gap in prayer and supplication. God is looking for people that will stand upon their watch praying for souls in the city – Habk 2 v 1